Waiting Time is Doing Time
We all have downtime. Those in-between moments of waiting for someone or something to happen. You know what I mean. Waiting at the doctor’s office for your 10 am appointment and now it is 10:30. This doesn’t need to be wasted time or unfocused time.
Here are five suggested things you can do while waiting:
- Review and update your upcoming calendar/schedule. Review your upcoming projects and things you need to get done. Instead of just doing, spend this time reviewing and deciding what are your priorities.
- Process your email. (notice I said process-not do your email) One by one decide what to do with each message in front of you, Do it (respond to it if it takes less than 2 minutes), Delegate it, Defer it, File it (reference for later) or Delete it.
- Journal-take time to reflect on your day, week, month, year. Write out your prayers.
- Read. Read your Bible. Read a good book. Read something you are passionate about.
- Listen to a podcast. Listen to a sermon. Take the downtime to learn something new. This is a great way to spend travel time.
OK, having said all this. This doesn’t mean we have to be doing something every waking moment of our lives, but let’s be intentional and prepared. Downtime can be effective time.
Next time you say, “I don’t have time,” I call “BS.” BE SERIOUS about the waiting moments in life. You will be surprised how much you can get done.